Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Fun things while we wait

*I actually wrote this post a couple of weeks ago... probably because I forgot.. 
anyway I edited a few things on it, but it is pretty much the same idea*

Hello... So, I was thinking that I need to update since it will be a while before we have any new news. As you may know, we are just waiting for our orientation/training day that will be some time in June or July. We cannot really "move forward" until that point, but surprisingly I am really calm about this. So, I'll share with you a couple of things.

First, I have to say that I feel like so many people have been so excited and supportive of our adoption! All of my worries that I had about people treating this as "second-best" have totally been relieved. I have to say that I feel like the excitement in the response has been so above and beyond what I expected which has been awesome. I really think that the response has been better than with my pregnancies (which isn't supposed to be a sad statement, but rather that this adoption process is by-far surpassing my expectations).

Some things that I'm excited about:

1. I have no idea what my baby will look like. The possibilities are endless, and that is exciting. I think it would be fun if all of our future children look completely different.

2. I'm not gonna lie, as someone who was all about having a drug-free birth, I am super excited that I don't have to do that now. Obviously being able to carry a baby and give birth is one of the best things in the world, but I am content that that is not in my future. I am glad that I won't have 2am feedings AND pain. Just saying. (That being said, I love my friends that have just given birth and I think you girls are super heroes!)

So, I realize that this baby will be completely spoiled (further displayed to me a couple of weekends ago by Matt's mom, aunts, and cousin and their talk about learning to make bows if it's a girl, about who wants to babysit, etc), but I like to plan and get a good deal. In fact, I think that planning and getting a good deal are probably both my biggest strength and weakness. Of course, right now I have to think gender neutral which is actually really hard to find cute and gender neutral. The other day I saw some little onesies and things for really cheap. I mean REALLY cheap. So, I go up to the checkout with these baby clothes and the checker says, "Looks like someone has a new baby at home!" Keep in mind here that I have been slightly scared of going to the check out with these things because Matt and I have been talking about adoption for so long that it still feels kinda like a "secret" at this point sometimes - to the point that I almost lied and said they were for a friend. (What the crap, right?!) I realized at that moment that this is actually something that we are starting to do, so I said, "Actually, we are adopting so I wanted to stock up on some little things when I find good deals." At this point there are 2 checkers at the register and the 2 of them in unison did a squeal/"Oh my gosh! Congratulations!" It was amazing in a tear-up-in-the-car-while-driving-home kinda way. :)

So, I do feel kinda silly buying onesies already when we are still months away from even a homestudy, but the way I figure it is that we will keep trying if for some reason this agency doesn't work out (even though I don't know why it wouldn't), and they were so cheap! Also, I've had fun having an excuse to get some things done around the house before our social worker comes for the homestudy.

2 comments: